Contingency planning for winter weather »Severe weather requires robust, collaborative planning between the Welsh Government and the public and private sectors in Wales.Learn more »
Health Minister gives go-ahead for standardised packaging for cigarettes to be introduced in Wales
A new law to introduce standardised packaging for cigarettes and hand rolling tobacco will apply in Wales, Health and Social Services Minister Mark Drakeford has confirmed.
- School Categorisation results published
- Survey on Welsh language use welcomed
- Health Minister gives go-ahead for standardised packaging for cigarettes to be introduced in Wales
- Marine Strategy Framework Directive (MSFD) Consultation – UK Marine Programme of Measures
- Raising the ambitions and educational attainment of children who are looked after in Wales
- Review of requirements for the trading of captive bred birds
- Harmonising school term dates for 2016 to 2017
- Implementation of the Social Services and Well-being (Wales) Act 2014 – Consultation on the Regulations and code of practice in relation to part 11 of the Act.
- Implementation of the Social Services and Well-being (Wales) Act 2014 - Consultation on the regulations and code of practice in relation to Part 2 of the Act
Featured consultation »Aligning the apprenticeship model to the needs of the Welsh economy
82 days left
Section highlightQualifications Wales BillThe Bill will establish Qualifications Wales as an independent regulator for qualifications and the qualification system in Wales.
Legislative programme 2014 - 2015 »
Bills that the Welsh Government will bring forward in 2014/2015.Learn more »
Section highlightProject pipeline update
This 6th edition details over 370 investments across both public and private sectors with a value of more than £40bn.
Final Budget 2015-16 »
The amount of funding allocated to Welsh Government Departments for 2015-16 is £15·3bn.Learn more »
- Statistics & Research
- European Social Fund Local Service Board development and priority delivery project
- Evaluation of the Choose Pharmacy common ailments service
- Housing demolitions and hazards
- Regional economic and labour market profiles
- Welsh Government People Survey
- Welsh language use survey
Upcoming calendar »
See the schedule for all statistics and research releases.View upcoming calendar »
Jane Hutt AM
Educated at the University of Kent, the London School of Economics and Bristol University, Jane is also an Honorary Fellow of University of Wales Institute Cardiff.
Prior to her election to the National Assembly for Wales, Jane was director of Chwarae Teg (Fair Play) and was the Welsh member on the New Opportunities (UK) Fund and was an elected Member of the former South Glamorgan County Council.
Jane is married with two children, is a Welsh learner, and lives in Barry.
Having served as Minister for Health and Social Services (1999-2005), Minister for Assembly Business, Children and Equalities (2005-2007) and Minister for Children, Education, Lifelong Learning and Skills (2007-2009), Jane was appointed as Minister for Budget and Business in December 2009. Following re-election to the National Assembly for Wales in May 2011, Jane Hutt was appointed Minister for Finance and Leader of the House and in March 2013 was appointed Minister for Finance. In September 2014, she was appointed Minister for Finance and Government Business.
The Minister for Finance and Government Business is responsible for:
- Providing strategic financial direction and management of the resources of the Welsh Government;
- Development of a Welsh Treasury function;
- Publishing and consulting on the Welsh Government’s budget proposals;
- General oversight of financial accounting and audit;
- Making most effective use of the Welsh Government’s budget through rigorous in year budget monitoring and management;
- Ensuring value for money and effectiveness of spend across the Welsh Government’s budget through continual challenge and development of underpinning systems on evidence and evaluation;
- Operation of the devolved funding settlement and the Statement of Funding;
- Value Wales;
- National Procurement Service;
- Oversight of the Private Finance Initiative (PFI), but not priorities or policy decisions regarding PFI projects within another Minister’s portfolio;
- Matters affecting Welsh Government Sponsored Bodies (WGSBs) collectively and in general, but not matters relating to specific WGSBs, which remain the responsibility of their respective Ministers;
- The Location Strategy and the co-ordination of acquisition, maintenance and disposal of property and other assets used by the Welsh Government in the exercise of its functions;
- The co-ordination of National Statistics and the maintenance and development of the co-ordinating structure under the National Statistics Framework. (For other Welsh Ministers their role covers statistical activity in relation to their portfolio responsibilities);
- The content or conduct of the Census in Wales;
- Policy on and administration of European Union structural funds, related programmes except the Common Agricultural Policy;
- Strategic Communications;
- Responsibility for managing Welsh Government business in the Assembly in line with standing orders.
Writing to Ministers
Contact Jane Hutt by email at: firstname.lastname@example.org
We aim to provide a response to correspondence to Ministers, including electronic mail within 17 working days. Ministers will respond to matters that fall within their portfolio. Please follow the link ‘Writing to Ministers’ on the left hand side to direct your correspondence to the right Minister.