Contingency planning for winter weather »Severe weather requires robust, collaborative planning between the Welsh Government and the public and private sectors in Wales.Learn more »
Health Minister gives go-ahead for standardised packaging for cigarettes to be introduced in Wales
A new law to introduce standardised packaging for cigarettes and hand rolling tobacco will apply in Wales, Health and Social Services Minister Mark Drakeford has confirmed.
- School Categorisation results published
- Survey on Welsh language use welcomed
- Health Minister gives go-ahead for standardised packaging for cigarettes to be introduced in Wales
- Marine Strategy Framework Directive (MSFD) Consultation – UK Marine Programme of Measures
- Raising the ambitions and educational attainment of children who are looked after in Wales
- Review of requirements for the trading of captive bred birds
- Harmonising school term dates for 2016 to 2017
- Implementation of the Social Services and Well-being (Wales) Act 2014 – Consultation on the Regulations and code of practice in relation to part 11 of the Act.
- Implementation of the Social Services and Well-being (Wales) Act 2014 - Consultation on the regulations and code of practice in relation to Part 2 of the Act
Featured consultation »Aligning the apprenticeship model to the needs of the Welsh economy
83 days left
Section highlightQualifications Wales BillThe Bill will establish Qualifications Wales as an independent regulator for qualifications and the qualification system in Wales.
Legislative programme 2014 - 2015 »
Bills that the Welsh Government will bring forward in 2014/2015.Learn more »
Section highlightProject pipeline update
This 6th edition details over 370 investments across both public and private sectors with a value of more than £40bn.
Final Budget 2015-16 »
The amount of funding allocated to Welsh Government Departments for 2015-16 is £15·3bn.Learn more »
- Statistics & Research
- European Social Fund Local Service Board development and priority delivery project
- Evaluation of the Choose Pharmacy common ailments service
- Housing demolitions and hazards
- Regional economic and labour market profiles
- Welsh Government People Survey
- Welsh language use survey
Upcoming calendar »
See the schedule for all statistics and research releases.View upcoming calendar »
Lesley Griffiths AM
Lesley Griffiths was brought up in North East Wales and has lived and worked in Wrexham all her adult life. She has two daughters and has served as a school governor and community councillor. She worked at the Wrexham Maelor Hospital for twenty years. Prior to her election she worked as constituency assistant to Ian Lucas, MP. As a strong supporter of devolution for Wales, she played an active role in the 1997 'Yes for Wales' campaign. She is a member of Unison.
She was elected to the National Assembly for Wales in May 2007 and served on several Assembly Committees. She set up and chaired the Cross Party Hospice Group. In December 2009, she was appointed Deputy Minister for Science, Innovation and Skills. Following re-election to the National Assembly for Wales in May 2011, Lesley Griffiths was appointed Minister for Health and Social Services and in March 2013 was appointed Minister for Local Government and Government Business. In September 2014, she was appointed Minister for Communities and Tackling Poverty.
Outside of politics, her main hobbies are music, walking and watching Wrexham Football Club. Lesley is formerly an elected director of the Wrexham Supporters Trust.
The Minister for Communities and Tackling Poverty is responsible for:
- Overall responsibility for delivering the Tackling Poverty Action Plan;
- Welfare Reform;
- Child Poverty, including Families First, family support and play policies;
- Children’s and young people’s rights and entitlements, including the UN Convention on the Rights of the Child and the Children’s Commissioner for Wales;
- Flying Start Initiative for children 0-3;
- Communities First;
- Financial inclusion, including credit unions;
- Regeneration, including Strategic Regeneration Areas; legacy regeneration; and provision of sites and premises, derelict land and environmental improvements relating to regeneration;
- The housing and housing-related activities of Local Authorities and housing associations, including housing management and the allocation of social and affordable housing;
- Supply and quality of market, social and affordable housing;
- Homelessness and housing advice;
- Matters relating to housing provided by the private rented sector, including regulation of registered social landlords;
- Aids and adaptations, including Disabled Facilities Grants and Physical Adaptation Grants;
- The provision of housing-related support (but not the payment of Housing Benefit);
- The regulation of commercial tenancies let by Local Authorities;
- Digital Inclusion;
- Equality covering the protected characteristics under the Equality Act 2010 and human rights in relation to UN and EU Conventions;
- Co-ordination of issues relating to gypsies and travellers, asylum-seekers, immigration, migrant workers and community cohesion (except where they relate specifically to other portfolios and counter terrorism measures);
- The Voluntary Sector and Volunteering;
- Lead responsibility for monitoring Post Office and Royal Mail matters in Wales.
Writing to Ministers
Contact Lesley Griffiths by email at: email@example.com
We aim to provide a response to correspondence to Ministers, including electronic mail within 17 working days. Ministers will respond to matters that fall within their portfolio. Please follow the link ‘Writing to Ministers’ on the left hand side to direct your correspondence to the right Minister.