Contingency planning for winter weather »Severe weather requires robust, collaborative planning between the Welsh Government and the public and private sectors in Wales.Learn more »
Health Minister gives go-ahead for standardised packaging for cigarettes to be introduced in Wales
A new law to introduce standardised packaging for cigarettes and hand rolling tobacco will apply in Wales, Health and Social Services Minister Mark Drakeford has confirmed.
- School Categorisation results published
- Survey on Welsh language use welcomed
- Health Minister gives go-ahead for standardised packaging for cigarettes to be introduced in Wales
- Marine Strategy Framework Directive (MSFD) Consultation – UK Marine Programme of Measures
- Raising the ambitions and educational attainment of children who are looked after in Wales
- Review of requirements for the trading of captive bred birds
- Harmonising school term dates for 2016 to 2017
- Implementation of the Social Services and Well-being (Wales) Act 2014 – Consultation on the Regulations and code of practice in relation to part 11 of the Act.
- Implementation of the Social Services and Well-being (Wales) Act 2014 - Consultation on the regulations and code of practice in relation to Part 2 of the Act
Featured consultation »Aligning the apprenticeship model to the needs of the Welsh economy
82 days left
Section highlightQualifications Wales BillThe Bill will establish Qualifications Wales as an independent regulator for qualifications and the qualification system in Wales.
Legislative programme 2014 - 2015 »
Bills that the Welsh Government will bring forward in 2014/2015.Learn more »
Section highlightProject pipeline update
This 6th edition details over 370 investments across both public and private sectors with a value of more than £40bn.
Final Budget 2015-16 »
The amount of funding allocated to Welsh Government Departments for 2015-16 is £15·3bn.Learn more »
- Statistics & Research
- European Social Fund Local Service Board development and priority delivery project
- Evaluation of the Choose Pharmacy common ailments service
- Housing demolitions and hazards
- Regional economic and labour market profiles
- Welsh Government People Survey
- Welsh language use survey
Upcoming calendar »
See the schedule for all statistics and research releases.View upcoming calendar »
Written Statement - Life Sciences Wales Investment Fund
Today I announced a Welsh Life Sciences Fund, to transform the Life Sciences sector in Wales. The Life Sciences Wales Investment Fund will be a dedicated equity fund worth up to £100 Million to invest into life sciences businesses located in Wales.
The Fund is designed to ensure that Life Sciences businesses can start and grow in Wales. It will capture the commercial potential of the significant investment being made by the Welsh Government into Science R&D in Wales.
Wales already has a promising Life Sciences sector, which is worth at least £1.3 Billion to the Welsh economy. Investments made by the Fund will enable businesses to grow faster and further by developing, for example, innovative technologies and therapies for the NHS and bringing them quickly to market. This should reduce costs and improve patient care.
The Fund complements the Welsh Government’s new science strategy ‘Science for Wales - a strategic agenda for science and innovation in Wales’, which was launched yesterday by the First Minister and included an additional £50 Million for Science R&D in Welsh universities over the next five years. The Welsh Government also invests over £40 Million in NHS Wales R&D every year. The Fund will ensure that commercial outcomes from this R&D investment are retained in Wales.
The Welsh Government is putting £25 Million into the Fund immediately, to enable the Fund to make its first investments into businesses this year.
Our Life Sciences Panel anticipates the Fund will attract match funding from the private sector. A dedicated Investment Panel and Fund Management Team will be recruited shortly. These will be experienced life sciences investors with a proven track record of success at an UK and global level.