Report by the Commission on Devolution in Wales »We hope that this Report will give us the foundation for a fundamental reform of the devolution settlement.Learn more »
Halen Môn is recipe for success, says First Minister
Halen Môn is a unique and successful business which is helping to promote Wales and Anglesey the First Minister, Carwyn Jones, said today on a visit to the company.
- Royal Welch Fusiliers Museum safeguards valuable First World War memories
- Welsh Government support for ex- Remploy workers extended
Featured Article »Landmark social care Bill passes National Assembly scrutiny
- Halen Môn is recipe for success, says First Minister
In this section
- Business and economy
- Children and young people
- Culture and sport
- Education and skills
- Environment and countryside
- Equality and diversity
- Health and social care
- Proposals concerning the publication of Sustainable Development Indicators statistical outputs
- Consultation on the regulations to introduce a new Firefighters’ Pension Scheme in Wales from April 2015
- Onshore oil exploration activities: integrated pollution prevention and control
- Statutory Guidance to the Independent Remuneration Panel for Wales in relation to the salaries of Local Authority Chief Executives
- Consultation on the findings of the report on the Impact and Effect of the Non-Domestic Rating (Definition of Domestic Property) (Wales) Order 2010.
- Proposals for the inshore crustacean fishery - Phase 1
Featured consultation »Curriculum for Wales: Phase 1 - revised literacy and numeracy arrangements
57 days left
Section highlightThe Housing (Wales) Bill
The Bill will introduce significant improvements across the housing sector to ensure that people have access to a decent, affordable home and better housing-related services.
Legislative programme 2013 - 2014 »
The First Minister detailed the 8 bills in the Welsh Government’s 5-year Legislative Programme that will be brought forward during the 3rd year of the Welsh Assembly.Learn more »
Section highlightProject pipeline update - December 2013
This Wales Infrastructure Investment Plan annex highlights planned investments and potential procurement opportunities.
2nd Supplementary Budget 2013-14 »
The 2nd Supplementary Budget proposes a number of changes to the 1st Supplementary Budget for 2013-14, which was published on 25 June 2013.Learn more »
- Statistics & Research
Written Statement - Launch of the consultation on the Promoting Local Democracy White Paper
On 12 July 2011, the First Minister made a statement on the Legislative Programme for the Welsh Government. In that statement he announced that there would be a Bill focusing on local democracy.
Today, 17 May 2012, I am issuing a White Paper to seek views on proposals for the Local Democracy (Wales) Bill, together with other proposals designed to make improvements in relation to local democracy.
The Bill will be intended to redesign the rules within which the Local Government Boundary Commission for Wales operates and make reforms to the structure and functions of the Commission. These changes will address the recommendations from the Mathias review of the Commission’s programme of electoral reviews undertaken in 2010, as detailed in my statement on 25 January 2012.
The White Paper also makes proposals aimed at:
- improving access to information about Town and Community Councils;
- enhancing the operation of the Local Government ethical framework to enable a more local approach to the resolution of low-level complaints, without immediate resort to the full investigatory role of the Ombudsman;
- improving the effectiveness of electoral management in Wales, in terms of its organisation and funding, as well as encouraging high rates of voter registration;
- strengthening the scrutiny function of local government, to ensure it provides robust public accountability and drives public service improvement both locally and regionally;
- ensuring councillors receive improved levels of training and development, both in terms of their local leadership ability and their ability to act as effective community representatives when participating in local democratic processes.
The consultation will end on 3 August 2012 and I will be considering responses in determining the final shape of the legislation. I expect to introduce the Bill to the National Assembly for Wales in autumn 2012.