What we do
We do this through our three regions (North Wales; South East Wales and South West Wales) which are the focus for professional inspection and judgement about services and organisations. They inspect and review local authority social services, and regulate and inspect care settings and agencies.
We inspect and regulate
- Care homes for adults – including those provide nursing care
- Domiciliary care agencies
- Adult placement schemes
- Nurses' agencies
- Children’s homes
Day care services for under 8
- Fostering agencies
- Adoption agencies
- Boarding schools, residential special schools and further education colleges which accommodate students under 18
We inspect, review and evaluate
- Local Authority social services
- Registration – we decide who can provide services;
- Inspection – we inspect services and make our reports publicly available;
- Responding to Complaints and concerns – we consider complaints and concerns about regulated services and take action where we identify non compliance with the regulations
- Enforcement – where we identify non compliance we take enforcement action if services do not comply with the law.
We publish reports on the findings of our inspections. These are available on the publications section of our website. You will also find the Chief Inspector’s annual report in the Publications section.
We publish the numbers of settings and places that we regulate each quarter and this along with our annual publication of Deprivation of Liberty Safeguards can be found in our publications section.