It sets out how the Assembly Government’s new approach to economic development benefits SMEs by supporting entrepreneurship and creating the best environment to start up in business. It also helps existing enterprises grow to improve Wales’ competitive edge.
Deputy First Minister Ieuan Wyn Jones said,
“Small and medium sized enterprises are the backbone of the Welsh economy and account for more than half of total employment in Wales. This year we launched a radical new approach to supporting the Welsh economy that focuses on investment in infrastructure and helping to create the right environment for all SMEs to benefit, regardless of size or sector. Our aim is to ensure the best connectivity for SMEs to grow and provide a workforce with the skills businesses have told us they need. We have also made a commitment that all businesses in Wales will have access to next generation broadband by the middle of 2016.”
The Welsh Assembly Government can help by:
- Saving businesses time by providing access to free up-to-date independent information on all aspects of starting a business
- Advice on how to access EU and UK financial support for R&D.
- Free start up taster sessions, plus workshops and advice surgery sessions to help you plan and start a new business.
- Free one to one mentoring to develop a business start up idea with growth potential, and guidance during the first 12 months of trading.
- Help with skills development, including leadership and management training with discretionary funding to address specific development needs.
- Assist in preparing procurement bids to compete for public sector contracts.
- Help businesses to explore new markets with guidance on new trade and export opportunities.
- Connect businesses to the expertise and facilities within Universities and colleges in Wales.
- Opportunities to learn how to identify and protect Intellectual Property.
- Repayable business available for SMEs within the identified six sectors that make a significant impact on the Welsh Economy: Advanced Materials & Manufacturing, Creative Industries, Energy & Environment, Financial & professional Services, ICT and Life Sciences.
SMEs can access all of this and a wealth of other support, advice and guidance from the public, private and third sector in Wales via a single number (03000 6 03000) and just one website.