The Returning Officers will oversee the arrangements for the polls in the five National Assembly electoral regions. Their main duties will be to receive and process the nominations for the regional election, allocate the regional member seats and declare the regional result of the vote.
The regional Returning Officers will be required to liaise with their constituency Returning Officers to ensure that the ballot papers, election notices and procedures are consistent throughout their region.
Carl Sargeant said:
“I cannot overstate the important role regional Returning Officers occupy during an election. In the interest of democracy it is essential that elections are properly and fairly executed.
“I am confident that these capable appointees will ensure that the 2011 National Assembly Election is carried out correctly in all regions across Wales.”
The appointments are:
- Mid and West Wales: the returning officer for Pembrokeshire, Mr Bryn Parry-Jones
- North Wales: the returning officer for Denbighshire County Council, Dr Mohammed Mehmet
- South Wales West: the returning officer for Swansea City Council, Mr Paul Smith
- South Wales Central: the returning officer for Cardiff City Council, Ms Christine Salter
- South Wales East: the returning officer for Newport City Council, Ms Tracey Lee