The design of the church and the scope of the restoration work is of such interest, that the Heritage Minister will be taken on a tour of the church by parish council chairman, John Langley, at 9.00am on October 4.
The Church of Our Lady of the Sea and St Winifred’s RC Church, Amlwch, Anglesey, which is a Grade-II*- listed building, has a remarkable experimental design for the inter-war years, as it resembles the upturned hull of a huge boat. In addition, an equally bold use of materials has been made for a religious building. The grant offer of £150,000 would contribute to a comprehensive scheme of restoration and refurbishment, including repairs to the roof, internal and external walls along with the installation of specialist glass curtain walling.
Rhodri Glyn Thomas, Minister for Heritage, said:
I am delighted to announce these Welsh Assembly Government grant offers which cover a range of diverse buildings across Wales, from the small vernacular farm outbuildings of the Pig Sty and Ty Bach at Tynllan Farm in Llanelltyd, near Dolgellau, to the majestic suspension bridge at Conwy Castle. All of these buildings are important within the rich built heritage of Wales and these grants will help to secure their future for the enjoyment of the people of Wales and the ten million tourists who come to Wales each year from within the United Kingdom.
John Langley said:
Our Lady Star of the Sea is a remarkable and striking building, an architectural jewel. But of equal importance is that it lies at the heart of a small community, whose wish is to see the church restored and used once again as a house of welcome, service and celebration.
Our resources are limited but we take great pride in the fact that the Church is a much loved local landmark as well as a unique Welsh building. For many people it would be dream come true to see it restored for its architectural value and serving as a ‘working’ building at the heart of this community, preserving part of the heritage of Amlwch for future generations.
The £289,625 in grant funding will be shared among the following projects should all the offers be accepted:
Garthgynan, Llanfair, Dyffryn Clwyd, Ruthin, Denbighshire.
It is thought that William Wynn, Sheriff of Denbigh, built Garthgynan in 1651. It is a fascinating collection of buildings that retains much original fabric, from humble outbuildings through to cottage and the high status gentry house with its walled garden and associated garden buildings. Grant of £21,000 has been offered towards re-slating the roof of the main house and associated repairs.
Pig Sty & Ty Bach, Tynllan, Llanelltyd, Dolgellau, Gwynedd.
An early vernacular building dating from the middle of the 16th- century or perhaps earlier, Tynllan has interesting historical associations with the adjacent church and the temperance movement. Grant of £1,500 has been offered towards the restoration and repair of the house’s traditional roof timbers and slates.
Bethel Baptist Chapel, Mynachlog-Ddu, Clunderwen, Pembrokeshire.
An elegant example of an 1870s Baptist Chapel, Bethel has an impressive interior, including elaborate ceiling plasterwork and well detailed woodwork. Grant of £34,000 has been offered for re-roofing works, repair of rotting timbers, replacement of failing render and the re-pointing of the exterior walls of the chapel.
War Memorial, Castle Point, Aberystwyth, Ceredigion.
This striking and important landmark in the Aberystwyth conservation area, which is 65 feet high, is situated at the southern end of the town’s promenade. Grant of £7,500 has been offered for work to re-point the memorial’s stonework and repair its bronze plaques.
Siamber Wen, Llangollen, Denbighshire.
Siamber Wen is situated above the Llangollen canal. Its striking turreted and castellated elevations make it a prominent feature within the Llangollen conservation area. Grant of £8,000 has been offered for the restoration of the external fabric of the house.
61 Garden Suburb, Pontywaun, Crosskeys, Caerphilly.
The house forms part of the well-designed garden suburb of Pontywaun, which was begun in 1918 by Ebbw Vale Steel, Iron & Coal Co for the officials of the Abercarn, Cwmcarn and Prince of Wales collieries. Grant of £3,125 has been offered for the reinstatement of the original front door and windows.
Egryn (Refectory Building), Llanaber, Gwynedd.
Owned by the National Trust, Egryn is a medieval aisled hall house, probably of the late 15th Century, with 17th- and 19th-century additions. There is a wealth of good detail inside the house, including the ornamental truss bosses, the lantern truss for the original central hearth and the ranks of cusped wind-bracing in the roof space. Grant of £18,500 has been offered towards dismantling and rebuilding the chimney gable at the Egryn Refectory.
Conwy Suspension Bridge, Conwy.
The suspension bridge is a Grade I- Listed building. Built between 1822 and 1826, it is considered to be one of Thomas Telford’s major engineering and architectural achievements. The structure is a single-span suspension bridge of 99 metres in length which crosses the river Conwy immediately alongside Conwy Castle. Each of the bridge’s supporting pillars is in the form of twin battlemented towers with central gateway, to harmonise with the castle. Grant of £46,000 has been offered for a first phase of redecoration of the bridge and repairs to the masonry of the structure.
October 2, 2007