Active learning in PSE
Children and young people learn effectively when they are actively involved in the learning process. A positive, safe learning environment with established ground rules which engender mutual respect, support and high expectations is a key feature.
Personal and social education is a process in which real experiences, attitudes, values, and emotions are shared, explored and reflected upon. Successful and motivating PSE requires approaches in which learners:
- develop their personal and social skills
- are active participants not passive listeners
- accept responsibility for their learning
- learn from each other
- reflect on their learning and relate it to real experiences
- apply their learning in ‘real’ contexts.