Report by the Commission on Devolution in Wales »We hope that this Report will give us the foundation for a fundamental reform of the devolution settlement.Learn more »
Pilots in Ceredigion and Vale of Glamorgan to find new ways to deliver public transport
- European investment helps bring Superfast Broadband to Wales – Jane Hutt
- Genpower to create 35 new jobs in Haven Waterway Enterprise Zone with Welsh Government support
Featured Article »Landmark social care Bill passes National Assembly scrutiny
- Pilots in Ceredigion and Vale of Glamorgan to find new ways to deliver public transport
In this section
- Business and economy
- Children and young people
- Culture and sport
- Education and skills
- Environment and countryside
- Equality and diversity
- Health and social care
- Proposals concerning the publication of Sustainable Development Indicators statistical outputs
- Consultation on the regulations to introduce a new Firefighters’ Pension Scheme in Wales from April 2015
- Onshore oil exploration activities: integrated pollution prevention and control
- Statutory Guidance to the Independent Remuneration Panel for Wales in relation to the salaries of Local Authority Chief Executives
- Consultation on the findings of the report on the Impact and Effect of the Non-Domestic Rating (Definition of Domestic Property) (Wales) Order 2010.
- Achieving high standards together - a new framework for animal health and welfare in Wales
Featured consultation »Curriculum for Wales: Phase 1 - revised literacy and numeracy arrangements
50 days left
Section highlightThe Housing (Wales) Bill
The Bill will introduce significant improvements across the housing sector to ensure that people have access to a decent, affordable home and better housing-related services.
Legislative programme 2013 - 2014 »
The First Minister detailed the 8 bills in the Welsh Government’s 5-year Legislative Programme that will be brought forward during the 3rd year of the Welsh Assembly.Learn more »
Section highlightProject pipeline update - December 2013
This Wales Infrastructure Investment Plan annex highlights planned investments and potential procurement opportunities.
2nd Supplementary Budget 2013-14 »
The 2nd Supplementary Budget proposes a number of changes to the 1st Supplementary Budget for 2013-14, which was published on 25 June 2013.Learn more »
- Statistics & Research
National survey of adult skills
The survey was carried out during 2010, and assessed overall literacy and numeracy skills of adults (aged 16-65) in Wales (through English medium), and Welsh medium literacy skills of Welsh-speaking adults in Wales. The surveys were designed as far as was practically possible to replicate similar surveys carried out in 2004/05, in order to consider changes in skills levels.
Overall results (from English medium survey)
- There has been improvement in literacy levels: 12 per cent of adults were assessed to have Entry Level literacy or below, a decrease from 25 per cent in 2004.
- 29 per cent of adults were assessed at Level 1 (37 per cent in 2004) and 59 per cent at Level 2 or above (an increase from 38 per cent in 2004).
- There is little change in numeracy levels: 51 per cent of adults were assessed to have Entry Level numeracy or below, similar to the 53 per cent in 2004.
- 29 per cent were assessed at Level 1 (25 per cent in 2004) and 21 per cent at Level 2 or above (22 per cent in 2004).
- Literacy and numeracy levels were higher amongst the employed, those with higher levels of household income, those with higher qualifications, and amongst the older age groups.
Tel: 029 2082 3357