Review of the legislation managing the Welsh crustacean fisheries »The crustacean fisheries are the mainstay of the Welsh fishing industry, with £3.8 million worth of crustaceans landed into Wales in 2012.Learn more »
Launch of 10-year plan for early years, childcare and play workforce
Today the Welsh Government sets out its ambitious, long-term vision for the early years, childcare and play workforce
- First Minister news conference
- Construction begins on new £15m emergency services centre for Wrexham
- Launch of 10-year plan for early years, childcare and play workforce
In this section
- Business and economy
- Children and young people
- Culture and sport
- Education and skills
- Environment and countryside
- Equality and diversity
- Health and social care
- Draft 10-year plan for the early years, childcare and play workforce in Wales
- Inappropriate admissions guidance
- Draft guidance on housing association board member remuneration
- Reservoir Safety in Wales: Consultation on the Commencement of Schedule 4 to the Flood and Water Management Act 2010
- Devolution, Democracy and Delivery White Paper – Reforming Local Government
- Consultation on improving the availability of allotments and community gardens
Featured consultation »Draft guidance on notifiable event for registered social landlords
20 days left
Section highlightHousing (Wales) Act 2014The Act introduces significant improvements across the housing sector to ensure that people have access to a decent, affordable home and better housing-related services.
Legislative programme 2014 - 2015 »
Bills that the Welsh Government will bring forward in 2014/2015.Learn more »
Section highlightWales for Africa grant
The Wales for Africa grant supports projects that build mutually beneficial links between Wales and Sub-Saharan Africa.
1st Supplementary Budget 2014-15 »
The 1st Supplementary Budget proposes a number of changes to the Final Budget for 2014-15, which was published in December 2013.Learn more »
- Statistics & Research
Upcoming calendar »
See the schedule for all statistics and research releases.View upcoming calendar »
Patients in mental health hospitals and units
An annual report which includes information on the total number of patients, gender and length of care.
Hospitals and units for people with a mental illness in Wales
- There were 1,486 resident patients;
- The number of patients had fallen by 666 since 31 March 2004 and by 111 since 31 March 2013;
- 766 patients (52%) had been resident for less than 3 months;
- 519 patients (35%) were detained under the Mental Health Act 1983 and other legislation, an increase of 20 from 2013 and 21 from 2004.
- There were fewer female patients (647) than males (839) and they tended to be older (59% of female patients were aged 65 or over compared with 38% of males).
Hospitals and units for people with a learning disability in Wales
- There were 120 resident patients, 81 males and 39 females.
- This was 10 less than 2013, and 79 less than 2004.
- 16 patients (13% of the total) were detained under the Mental Health Act 1983 and other legislation, a decrease of 19 from 2013 and 3 from 2004.
- 55 patients (46%) had been resident for 2 years or more.
Tel: 029 2082 5080