Report by the Commission on Devolution in Wales »We hope that this Report will give us the foundation for a fundamental reform of the devolution settlement.Learn more »
Third round of Enterprise Zones Business Rates Scheme opens
Businesses in the seven Welsh Enterprise Zones are being invited to bid for more than £3 million in the latest round of a Welsh Government Business Rate scheme.
- Welsh Ministers take hard line to end FGM in Wales
- NHS Wales Awards 2014 Finalists Announced
Featured Article »Landmark social care Bill completes stage 3 scrutiny
- Third round of Enterprise Zones Business Rates Scheme opens
In this section
- Business and economy
- Children and young people
- Culture and sport
- Education and skills
- Environment and countryside
- Equality and diversity
- Health and social care
- Consultation on the Statutory Guidance on Securing Sufficient Play Opportunities
- EIDCymru: an electronic movement reporting system for sheep and goats - the identification of sheep and the current slaughter derogation
- Achieving high standards together - a new framework for animal health and welfare in Wales
- Revising the national framework for Continuing NHS Healthcare (CHC)
- Phase 1 - Draft Report: Review of Audit, Inspection and Regulation
- Statutory Guidance to the Independent Remuneration Panel for Wales in relation to the salaries of Local Authority Chief Executives
Featured consultation »A new framework for animal health and welfare in Wales
45 days left
Section highlightThe Housing (Wales) Bill
The Bill will introduce significant improvements across the housing sector to ensure that people have access to a decent, affordable home and better housing-related services.
Legislative programme 2013 - 2014 »
The First Minister detailed the 8 bills in the Welsh Government’s 5-year Legislative Programme that will be brought forward during the 3rd year of the Welsh Assembly.Learn more »
Section highlightProject pipeline update - December 2013
This Wales Infrastructure Investment Plan annex highlights planned investments and potential procurement opportunities.
2nd Supplementary Budget 2013-14 »
The 2nd Supplementary Budget proposes a number of changes to the 1st Supplementary Budget for 2013-14, which was published on 25 June 2013.Learn more »
- Statistics & Research
Being a parent
The first five years of your child’s life provide the foundation for their future health and well-being. Even before they are born, their development will be affected by what you eat, whether you smoke or drink alcohol, and whether you look after your own health.
Good parenting has a particular impact on several key outcomes:
- the parent-infant relationship
- health-related behaviours
- educational success and school dropout.
Habits for life
Giving them healthy food and drink whilst they are young not only helps them grow up strong and healthy, but it can teach them good eating habits which will stay with them for life. Children learn by copying their parents, so if you lead a healthy lifestyle, eat well and don’t smoke it's likely that your child will grow up to be the same.
If you feel you would like to discuss any of this in more detail, your midwife, health visitor and General Practitioner are all there to help you give your child the very best start in life. They can also let you know what is going on in your area to support parents with children the same age as yours.
Maternity and paternity rights
Visit the Directgov website to learn about your entitlements to maternity and paternity rights.