In this section
Section highlightThe People’s NHS Part of an initiative to engage the public in creating a safe and sustainable health service for the future.
Spreading the word »Action on the ground to increase learning materials in the medium of Welsh.Learn more »
First science star for Wales announced
A world-leading neurobiologist will take up a post at Cardiff University as the first appointment under the Welsh Government’s £50M flagship science initiative.
- Minister launches All Wales Continence Bundle
- People turning to emergency help due to welfare changes Minister warns London
- First science star for Wales announced
In this section
- Business and economy
- Children and young people
- Culture and sport
- Education and skills
- Environment and countryside
- Equality and diversity
- Health and social care
- Housing and community
- Improving public services
Welsh languageWelsh-language technology and digital media action plan
The action plan sets out our commitment to drive developments in the field of Welsh-language technology and digital media.Learn more »
In this section
Section highlightAccess to information
The Welsh Government has followed the principles of openness in government for many years. Find out how you can make a freedom of information request or see requests that have already been made.
The Strategy for Older People in Wales 2013-2023 »The 3rd phase focuses on ensuring that older people in Wales have the resources to deal with the challenges and opportunities they face.Learn more »
- Consultation on Draft Technical Advice Note (TAN) 23 Economic Development
- Amendments to the Motor Vehicle (Competitions and Trials) Regulations 1969 and the Motor Vehicles (Off Road Events) Regulations 1995
- Local government (Wales) Measure 2011 - Part 7: Communities and community councils
- Draft industrial and commercial sector plan
- Waste Prevention Programme
- Building Control system and Approved Document supporting regulation 7
Featured consultation »Improving access to substance misuse treatment for veterans
66 days left
In this section
Section highlightIndex of Planning Policy Guidance for Wales
Our land use planning policy guidance is set out in two core documents, "Planning Policy Wales" and "Minerals Planning Policy Wales".
Legislative programme 2012 - 2013 »
Addressing the Assembly in the Senedd today, the First Minister, Carwyn Jones, detailed the eight bills in the Welsh Government’s 5-year Legislative Programme that will be brought forward during the second year of the Welsh Assembly.Learn more »
Section highlightCommunity Infrastructure Levy
Local authorities can charge a Community Infrastructure Levy on new developments to support the infrastructure needed.
Infrastructure Investment Case Studies »
Examples of infrastructure investment projects funded by the Welsh Government across Wales.Learn more »
About this topic
Our vision is for a confident, diverse, creative and active Wales.
We are responsible for the National Museums and Galleries, libraries, archives and historical records and cultural activities and projects in Wales.
We are also responsible for setting strategic priorities for the arts and sport and overseeing the funding delivery and management of arts and sports policy by the Arts Council for Wales and Sport Wales.
Broadcasting is non-devolved but the Welsh Government is anxious to ensure that the interests of Welsh citizens are reflected in the development of UK broadcasting policy.
The Welsh Government is responsible for protecting Wales’s historic environment and making is accessible to all. We do this though our division, Cadw, and the Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Wales.
Aims and commitments
Our Programme for Government commitments include supporting provision of and access to the arts, culture and heritage that make Wales a special place to be. Some of the ways we will achieve this are:
- Develop the educational and cultural benefits of our museums and historic sites.
- Retain free entry to museums.
- Promote Cadw sites and bring forward our Heritage Bill.
- Support the Arts Council of Wales to deliver its arts and young people strategy 'Changing Lives'
- Encourage arts organisations to tackle the barriers to participation for people of all ages.
- Ensure that local authorities meet national standards of library provision.
Our commitments to sport include:
- Widening participation in sport.
- Improving Welsh sporting achievement.
- Promoting Wales as a venue for international sporting events.
To do this we will:
- Fund programmes aimed at increasing physical activity and participation in sport.
- Produce more elite athletes through Sport Wales's Elite Sports Strategy.
- Work with national, UK and international sports federations to ensure that major sporting events are hosted in Wales.
- Work towards bringing the 2026 Commonwealth Games to Cardiff.