Skip to content

Student financial support

Sound advice on Student Finance

You can study higher education at a university or college of further education. Higher education doesn't necessarily mean a degree. You could study a Higher National Certificate (HNC) or Higher National Diploma (HND), or even a Diploma of Higher Education.

Higher education gives you the chance to immerse yourself in a subject that really interests you. Courses range from the familiar academic subjects such as English or history, to less familiar work-related (vocational) courses such as computer game design. Many courses are based on units of study or ‘modules’. Each module lets you earn credits towards your qualification.

Student financial support

Student Financial Support for higher education comes in many forms. You can fund your studies using a loan, which you will need to pay back. Grants and bursaries are available which you don’t need to pay back. Some employers or charities offer sponsorship, which don’t need to be paid back. Your student financial support will usually be a mixture of loans and grants.

If you normally live in Wales you could be eligible for student financial support provided by Student Finance Wales, regardless of where in the UK you will be studying.

Your package of student financial support will depend on the year in which you began your studies, your household income and where you will be studying.

Student Finance Wales can provide student financial support in the form of  a Tuition Fee Loan, Tuition Fee Grant, Maintenance Loan, a Welsh Government Learning Grant or specialist grants for learners with a disability, or for students with caring responsibilities.

See the Student Finance Wales website (external link) for details of current rates of support available.

For more information contact the student support team at your local authority or call the Student Finance Wales Contact Centre on 0300 200 4050.