Skip to content

Independent schools information and registration

Related Links

Certain information on this site requires that you have the right software to view it. This page offers links to freely available viewers and readers.
The law requires that independent schools must be registered with the Welsh Government. The Welsh Government must approve an application to open a school before it admits pupils.

Opening a school

If you would like to apply to open a school you may apply on-line using our registration form.

Alternatively you may send a paper application using the "Application Form for Registration" document below.

You should send your application to:

School Governance and Revenue Funding Branch
Schools Management and Effectiveness Division
Welsh Government
Cathays Park
Cardiff CF10 3NQ
Tel: 029 2082 6051
E-mail :

Information for applicants and schools that are already registered

The Welsh Government has published a handbook about independent schools which is available below as a document download.

If you have questions about independent school registration contact School Governance and Revenue Funding Branch using the contact details above.

Guidance on handling allegations of abuse against teachers and other Staff

This is statutory guidance (external link) for local authorities, schools (including independent schools) and further education institutions.
It sets out the procedures to be followed when handling allegations against teachers and members of staff,