Report by the Commission on Devolution in Wales »We hope that this Report will give us the foundation for a fundamental reform of the devolution settlement.Learn more »
Halen Môn is recipe for success, says First Minister
Halen Môn is a unique and successful business which is helping to promote Wales and Anglesey the First Minister, Carwyn Jones, said today on a visit to the company.
- Royal Welch Fusiliers Museum safeguards valuable First World War memories
- Welsh Government support for ex- Remploy workers extended
Featured Article »Landmark social care Bill passes National Assembly scrutiny
- Halen Môn is recipe for success, says First Minister
In this section
- Business and economy
- Children and young people
- Culture and sport
- Education and skills
- Environment and countryside
- Equality and diversity
- Health and social care
- Proposals concerning the publication of Sustainable Development Indicators statistical outputs
- Consultation on the regulations to introduce a new Firefighters’ Pension Scheme in Wales from April 2015
- Onshore oil exploration activities: integrated pollution prevention and control
- Statutory Guidance to the Independent Remuneration Panel for Wales in relation to the salaries of Local Authority Chief Executives
- Consultation on the findings of the report on the Impact and Effect of the Non-Domestic Rating (Definition of Domestic Property) (Wales) Order 2010.
- Proposals for the inshore crustacean fishery - Phase 1
Featured consultation »Curriculum for Wales: Phase 1 - revised literacy and numeracy arrangements
57 days left
Section highlightThe Housing (Wales) Bill
The Bill will introduce significant improvements across the housing sector to ensure that people have access to a decent, affordable home and better housing-related services.
Legislative programme 2013 - 2014 »
The First Minister detailed the 8 bills in the Welsh Government’s 5-year Legislative Programme that will be brought forward during the 3rd year of the Welsh Assembly.Learn more »
Section highlightProject pipeline update - December 2013
This Wales Infrastructure Investment Plan annex highlights planned investments and potential procurement opportunities.
2nd Supplementary Budget 2013-14 »
The 2nd Supplementary Budget proposes a number of changes to the 1st Supplementary Budget for 2013-14, which was published on 25 June 2013.Learn more »
- Statistics & Research
Imports and Exports
The Welsh Government works with the Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs (DEFRA) to implement import rules arising from the European Union (EU) and set national rules where no EU conditions are in place. International disease surveillance work enables the Welsh Government to take emergency safeguard action to restrict or ban imports from countries which have confirmed an outbreak of animal disease.
Checks (both physical and documentary) are carried out on all animals and animal products from non-EU countries in approved facilities at ports or airports. These are known as Border Inspection Posts (BIPs). EU legislation lays down the requirements for BIPs. They are inspected periodically by the European Commission (EC) to ensure they meet the required standard. Currently there are no BIPs in Wales.
This section of the website contains information on the import and export controls currently in place. Please click the links on the left of the page for information on the following topics:
Beef export requirements.
Circuses - The animal health movement controls for circuses moving between EU countries.
Customer information notes - The latest developments in international trade.
Importation of animal derived material for educational, research or museum purposes.
Pet travel rules.
A review of controls on imports of animal products is published annually. The review recognises that illegal imports can only be tackled successfully with a combined effort across all relevant government departments and enforcement agencies and by raising public awareness and understanding the risks. Please click on the link to the left of the screen to access the publication index for further background information.