Report by the Commission on Devolution in Wales »We hope that this Report will give us the foundation for a fundamental reform of the devolution settlement.Learn more »
Halen Môn is recipe for success, says First Minister
Halen Môn is a unique and successful business which is helping to promote Wales and Anglesey the First Minister, Carwyn Jones, said today on a visit to the company.
- Royal Welch Fusiliers Museum safeguards valuable First World War memories
- Welsh Government support for ex- Remploy workers extended
Featured Article »Landmark social care Bill passes National Assembly scrutiny
- Halen Môn is recipe for success, says First Minister
In this section
- Business and economy
- Children and young people
- Culture and sport
- Education and skills
- Environment and countryside
- Equality and diversity
- Health and social care
- Proposals concerning the publication of Sustainable Development Indicators statistical outputs
- Consultation on the regulations to introduce a new Firefighters’ Pension Scheme in Wales from April 2015
- Onshore oil exploration activities: integrated pollution prevention and control
- Statutory Guidance to the Independent Remuneration Panel for Wales in relation to the salaries of Local Authority Chief Executives
- Consultation on the findings of the report on the Impact and Effect of the Non-Domestic Rating (Definition of Domestic Property) (Wales) Order 2010.
- Proposals for the inshore crustacean fishery - Phase 1
Featured consultation »Curriculum for Wales: Phase 1 - revised literacy and numeracy arrangements
54 days left
Section highlightThe Housing (Wales) Bill
The Bill will introduce significant improvements across the housing sector to ensure that people have access to a decent, affordable home and better housing-related services.
Legislative programme 2013 - 2014 »
The First Minister detailed the 8 bills in the Welsh Government’s 5-year Legislative Programme that will be brought forward during the 3rd year of the Welsh Assembly.Learn more »
Section highlightProject pipeline update - December 2013
This Wales Infrastructure Investment Plan annex highlights planned investments and potential procurement opportunities.
2nd Supplementary Budget 2013-14 »
The 2nd Supplementary Budget proposes a number of changes to the 1st Supplementary Budget for 2013-14, which was published on 25 June 2013.Learn more »
- Statistics & Research
Free prescriptions in Wales
Since 1 April 2007 your prescription medicine has been provided free, as part of your treatment.
Where you previously bought non-prescription medication over-the-counter, without the need to see your GP, you should continue to do so.
Remember, your GP is one of a number of frontline clinical experts now able to prescribe medication. Others include:
All prescribers decide on clinical grounds what a patient needs on prescription to help improve their health.
Who is entitled to free prescriptions?
- All patients registered with a Welsh GP who get their prescriptions from a pharmacist in Wales.
- Patients who live in Wales but are registered with a GP in England due to the proximity of their address to the border are issued with 'entitlement cards’. Patients will be issued with free prescriptions at a Welsh pharmacy if they present the card and the English prescription.
- Welsh patients who although registered with Welsh GPs regularly receive treatment within English NHS Trusts, or out of hours services based in England. They will be charged for prescriptions at Welsh pharmacies, as they do not qualify for an entitlement card. To address this inequality, they can apply for a refund by submitting their claim by letter along with a receipt via the NHS Wales Shared Services Partnership (external link)
Are medical and maternity exemption certificates still available in Wales?
Yes. Welsh patients who are exempt from paying for prescriptions under the previous medical or maternity exemption system can still apply for a certificate. This will enable them to get their medication from dispensing pharmacies in England. The maternity exemption certificate also allows for free dental care.