Delivering Prudent Healthcare in Wales »Prudent healthcare principles ensure patients receive the most appropriate treatments to achieve mutually-agreed goals.Learn more »
More young entrepreneurs share in Jobs Growth Wales success
Jobs Growth Wales has now helped young people to start up 345 new businesses
- Next phase of Cardiff Capital Region Metro revealed
- Changes to moorland classification announced
- More young entrepreneurs share in Jobs Growth Wales success
In this section
- Business and economy
- Children and young people
- Culture and sport
- Education and skills
- Environment and countryside
- Equality and diversity
- Health and social care
- Draft Undertaking Gypsy and Traveller Accommodation Assessments guidance
- Draft Designing Gypsy and Traveller Sites in Wales guidance
- Draft Managing Gypsy and Traveller Sites in Wales guidance
- Reservoir Safety in Wales: Consultation on the Commencement of Schedule 4 to the Flood and Water Management Act 2010
- Strategic Environmental Assessment: Environmental Report, Ireland Wales cooperation Programme 2014-2020
- Agricultural Waste Call for Evidence
Featured consultation »Draft guidance on notifiable event for registered social landlords
42 days left
Section highlightThe Well-being of Future Generations (Wales) BillThe Bill strengthens existing governance arrangements for improving the well-being of Wales to ensure that present needs are met without compromising the ability of future generations to meet their own needs.
Legislative programme 2014 - 2015 »
Bills that the Welsh Government will bring forward in 2014/2015.Learn more »
Section highlightWales for Africa grant
The Wales for Africa grant supports projects that build mutually beneficial links between Wales and Sub-Saharan Africa.
1st Supplementary Budget 2014-15 »
The 1st Supplementary Budget proposes a number of changes to the Final Budget for 2014-15, which was published in December 2013.Learn more »
- Statistics & Research
- Admission of patients to mental health facilities
- End of foundation phase outcomes and National Curriculum teacher assessment of core subjects at Key Stages 2 and 3 - Revised
- Jobs Growth Wales
- National curriculum teacher assessments of the non-core subjects - Revised
- Patients in mental health hospitals and units
Upcoming calendar »
See the schedule for all statistics and research releases.View upcoming calendar »
Free prescriptions in Wales
Since 1 April 2007 your prescription medicine has been provided free, as part of your treatment.
Where you previously bought non-prescription medication over-the-counter, without the need to see your GP, you should continue to do so.
Remember, your GP is one of a number of frontline clinical experts now able to prescribe medication. Others include:
All prescribers decide on clinical grounds what a patient needs on prescription to help improve their health.
Who is entitled to free prescriptions?
- All patients registered with a Welsh GP who get their prescriptions from a pharmacist in Wales.
- Patients who live in Wales but are registered with a GP in England due to the proximity of their address to the border are issued with 'entitlement cards’. Patients will be issued with free prescriptions at a Welsh pharmacy if they present the card and the English prescription.
- Welsh patients who although registered with Welsh GPs regularly receive treatment within English NHS Trusts, or out of hours services based in England. They will be charged for prescriptions at Welsh pharmacies, as they do not qualify for an entitlement card. To address this inequality, they can apply for a refund by submitting their claim by letter along with a receipt via the NHS Wales Shared Services Partnership (external link)
Are medical and maternity exemption certificates still available in Wales?
Yes. Welsh patients who are exempt from paying for prescriptions under the previous medical or maternity exemption system can still apply for a certificate. This will enable them to get their medication from dispensing pharmacies in England. The maternity exemption certificate also allows for free dental care.