Contingency planning for winter weather »Severe weather requires robust, collaborative planning between the Welsh Government and the public and private sectors in Wales.Learn more »
Health Minister gives go-ahead for standardised packaging for cigarettes to be introduced in Wales
- School Categorisation results published
- Survey on Welsh language use welcomed
- Health Minister gives go-ahead for standardised packaging for cigarettes to be introduced in Wales
- Marine Strategy Framework Directive (MSFD) Consultation – UK Marine Programme of Measures
- Raising the ambitions and educational attainment of children who are looked after in Wales
- Review of requirements for the trading of captive bred birds
- Harmonising school term dates for 2016 to 2017
- Implementation of the Social Services and Well-being (Wales) Act 2014 – Consultation on the Regulations and code of practice in relation to part 11 of the Act.
- Implementation of the Social Services and Well-being (Wales) Act 2014 - Consultation on the regulations and code of practice in relation to Part 2 of the Act
Featured consultation »Aligning the apprenticeship model to the needs of the Welsh economy
84 days left
Section highlightQualifications Wales BillThe Bill will establish Qualifications Wales as an independent regulator for qualifications and the qualification system in Wales.
Legislative programme 2014 - 2015 »
Bills that the Welsh Government will bring forward in 2014/2015.Learn more »
Section highlightProject pipeline update
This 6th edition details over 370 investments across both public and private sectors with a value of more than £40bn.
Final Budget 2015-16 »
The amount of funding allocated to Welsh Government Departments for 2015-16 is £15·3bn.Learn more »
- Statistics & Research
- European Social Fund Local Service Board development and priority delivery project
- Evaluation of the Choose Pharmacy common ailments service
- Housing demolitions and hazards
- Regional economic and labour market profiles
- Welsh Government People Survey
- Welsh language use survey
Upcoming calendar »
See the schedule for all statistics and research releases.View upcoming calendar »
The evidence for legislative controls on sunbeds.
The evidence to introduce legislative controls on sunbeds is very strong. The Committee on Medical Aspects of Radiation in the Environment (COMARE), a UK Expert Committee, published a report in June 2009.
One of its main recommendations was to ban people under the age of 18 from using these devices. The Welsh Assembly’s Health, Wellbeing and Local Government Committee Report of its inquiry into ‘the use and regulation of sunbeds in Wales’ made similar recommendations to those made by COMARE.
The International Agency on Research into Cancer has raised sunbeds into its highest classification category as "carcinogenic to humans".
On 8 April 2011, a ban on businesses allowing under-18s to use sunbeds on their premises came into force in Wales and England through the introduction of the Sunbeds (Regulation) Act 2010.
The Sunbeds (Regulation) Act 2010 (Wales) Regulations 2011 (external link) came into force on Monday 31 October 2011 adding further controls on sunbed use in Wales.
Though this legislation the Welsh Government has provided local authorities the tools they need in order to protect children and adult sunbed users in Wales . Local authorities are responsible for enforcing the Regulations on sunbed premises.
SunSmart (external link, English only)
The Sunbeds (Regulation) Act 2010 (external link, English only)
Committee on Medical Aspects of Radiation in the Environment (COMARE) (external link, English only)