Skip to content

Householder Permitted Development Rights

Related Links

We are consulting on changes to allow more improvements and clarify what permitted development you can do.
Responses to technical questions about changes to Householder Permitted Development Rights that come into force on 30 September 2013.
Certain information on this site requires that you have the right software to view it. This page offers links to freely available viewers and readers.
You can make some improvements, alterations and extensions to your home without needing planning permission. These are called Permitted Development Rights.

These rights are allowed under the Town and Country Planning (General Permitted Development) Order 1995 (GPDO).

We have amended the GPDO to give you flexibility to make more changes to your home without needing to make a planning application.  

The guidance below will help you to interpret the amendments.  

You should note that the guidance is not an authoritative interpretation of the law, that is a matter for the courts. You should get advice from your Local Planning Authority if there is any doubt whether your proposal would be permitted development.

These changes to householder permitted development rights will come into force on 30 September 2013.